HART 355: Survey of Chinese Art (Art History: Yen)
- HART 355: Survey of Chinese Art
- Yen, Shou-Chih
- Art History
- On reserve at a library:
- Akira Kurosawa's Dreams [videorecording] / produced by Hisao Kurosawa, Mike Y. Inoue ; written and directed by Akira Kurosawa.
- Art of Edo Japan : the artist and the city 1615-1868 / Christine Guth.
- Arts of China / Michael Sullivan with Shelagh Vainker.
- Arts of China / Michael Sullivan.
- Austere luminosity of Chinese classical furniture / Sarah Handler.
- Brokeback Mountain [videorecording] / Focus Features and River Road Entertainment ; directed by Ang Lee ; screenplay by Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana ; producers, Diana Ossana, James Schamus.
- Century in crisis : modernity and tradition in the art of twentieth-century China / Julia F. Andrews and Kuiyi Shen ; with essays by Jonathan Spence [and others].
- Chinese architecture / English text edited and expanded by Nancy Steinhardt.
- Chinese art & culture / Robert L. Thorp, Richard Ellis Vinograd.
- Chinese calligraphy / Ouyang Zhongshi ... [et al.] ; translated and edited by Wang Youfen.
- Chinese classical furniture / Grace Wu Bruce.
- Chinese garden : history, art, and architecture / Maggie Keswick ; contributions and conclusion by Charles Jencks.
- Chinese glazes : their origins, chemistry, and recreation / Nigel Wood.
- Chinese national cinema / Yingjin Zhang.
- Compelling image : nature and style in seventeenth-century Chinese painting / James Cahill.
- Contemporary Chinese art : primary documents / edited by Wu Hung with the assistance of Peggy Wang.
- Craft of gardens / Ji Cheng ; translated by Alison Hardie ; photographs by Maggie Keswick ; with a foreword by Maggie Keswick.
- Elegant debts : the social art of Wen Zhengming, 1470-1559 / by Craig Clunas.
- Farewell my concubine [videorecording] / Miramax Films in association with Maverick Picture Company and Tomson (HK) Films Co., Ltd. ; screenplay by Lilian Lee & Lu Wei ; producer, Hsu Feng ; directed by Chen Kaige.
- Hao ji le = Have a nice day / produced by Strand releasing, Menento Films ; director and screenplay, Liu Jian ; producer, Yang Cheng.
- History of Japanese art / Penelope Mason ; revised by Donald Dinwiddie.
- Hotaru no haka [videorecording] = Grave of the fireflies / Studio Ghibli ; written and directed by Isao Takahata.
- Japanese garden design / Marc P. Keane ; photographs by Ōhashi Haruzō ; drawings by the author.
- Japonisme : cultural crossings between Japan and the West / Lionel Lambourne.
- Kaze no tani no Naushika [videorecording] = Nausicaä of the valley of the wind / Tokuma Shoten and Hakuhodo present ; a Top Craft production ; Walt Disney home Entertainment presents ; a Studio Ghibli film ; original story and screenplay by Hayao Miyaza
- Kung fu hustle [videorecording] / a Sony Pictures Classic release ; a Columbia Pictures Film production ; Asia Limited ; Huayi Brothers & Taihe Film Investment Co., Ltd. ; Beijing Film Studio of China Film Group Corporation ; present a Star Overseas produ
- Life of Pi [videorecording] / Fox 2000 Pictures presents ; in association with Dune Entertainment and Ingenious Media ; a Haishang Films/Gil Netter production ; an Ang Lee film ; executive producer, Dean Georgaris ; produced by Gil Netter, Ang Lee, David
- Mirror of modernity : invented traditions of modern Japan / edited by Stephen Vlastos.
- Painter's practice : how artists lived and worked in traditional China / James Cahill.
- Poetry and painting in Song China : the subtle art of dissent / Alfreda Murck.
- Ran / StudioCanal ; a film by Akira Kurosawa ; Serge Silbermann and Katsumi Kurukawa present an Akira Kurosawa film ; screenplay by Akira Kurosawa, Hideo Oguni and Masato Ide ; produced by Serge Silberman and Masato Hara.
- Rashōmon [videorecording] / [Daiei Co. ; produced by Jingo Minoura; scenario by Akira Kurosawa, Shinobu Hashimoto ; directed by Akira Kurosawa].
- Seven samurai [videorecording] / Janus Films ; Toho Co., Ltd. ; produced by Sojiro Motoki ; screenplay by Akira Kurosawa, Shinobu Hashimoto, Hideo Oguni ; directed by Akira Kurosawa.
- Superfluous things : material culture and social status in early modern China / Craig Clunas.
- Ten thousand things : module and mass production in Chinese art / Lothar Ledderose.
- Three thousand years of Chinese painting / Richard M. Barnhart [and others].
- Two Chinese treatises on calligraphy : treatise on calligraphy / introduced, translated, and annotated by Chang Chʻung-ho and Hans H. Frankel.
- Ukiyo-e / Gian Carlo Calza.
- Upright brush : Yan Zhenqing's calligraphy and Song literati politics / Amy McNair.
- Available online:
- (Ebrey) "Chapters 1-7" from The Cambridge Illustrated history of China, 2010
Link to PDF
- (Ebrey) "Chapters 8-12, Epilogue, Chronology, Notes, Index" from Cambridge Illustrated History of China, 2010
Link to PDF
- (Ledderose) "Chapters 1-5" from Ten Thousand Things
Link to PDF
- (Sullivan) "Chapters 1-6, Notes, List of Illustrations" from The Arts of China, 6th ed.
Link to PDF
- (Sullivan) "Chapters 7-11, Notes, List of Illustrations, Index" from The Arts of China, 6th ed.
Link to PDF